Provincial Qualifying Standards
In order to qualify for the Alberta Powerlifting Union (APU) Provincial Championships, athletes must achieve the REGIONAL LEVEL qualifying standards listed below. If a category is listed as "none", then athletes must have prior competition experience with the APU to achieve their qualification requirements.
National Qualifying Standards
Under Alberta Powerlifting Union rules, all lifters who wish to qualify for Team Alberta for the CPU National Championships must in addition to achieving the qualifying total for their respective age and weight class, fulfill at least one of the following:
- Lift or act as the Head Coach for an APU registered club at the most recent annual Provincial Championships, or Western Canadian Championships if the said Western Canadian Championships was hosted in Alberta
- Assist in the presentation of the most recent provincial championships as meet director, spotter/loader, official, or announcer(All roles must be performed for the majority of the meet).
- Act as meet director for any other APU sanctioned 3-lift contest within the province during the prior 24 months or APU sanctioned bench only contest for the prior 12 months.
- Volunteer at 2 local competitions within the year
Other important points to remember:
- Athletes must have qualified within the previous 24 months from the date of the intended Nationals.
- Athletes who achieves a National qualifying standard is
eligible to compete at any chosen weight class at the National
- All age categories begin on January 1 of the year the lifter
reaches the minimum age limit. For example,
a lifter become a Master 1 on January 1 of the year they turn 40.
Similarly, a Junior ceases to be a Junior on Dec 31 of the year they
- Bench-Only qualifying lifts can come from other Bench-Only contests or from the Bench Press portion of a regular Powerlifting contest.
- For Para-powerlifters not considering competing Internationally the Classic weight classes and qualifying standards apply.
- For Para-powerlifters wanting to go to International events check the Minimum Qualification Standards and Weight Classes.